The Newsroom

NEWS at TEN - January 2016 Relaunch

Big Ben & Bradby (January 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NE
newsman1
News at Ten is one of the coolest television news programmes in the UK. It's present theme tune is appropriate as a back-drop to footage of gun battles between police and terrorists. The opening sequence is action-packed.

Furthermore, Bradby and Peston are amusing. Why do many viewers hate them?
GM
GMc
News at Ten is one of the coolest television news programmes in the UK. It's present theme tune is appropriate as a back-drop to footage of gun battles between police and terrorists. The opening sequence is action-packed.

A news programme isn't meant to be "amusing" - it's meant to tell us the top stories of the da, in an unbiased, non-patronising way.
I'm slightly flabbergasted at your comment: "It's present theme tune is appropriate as a back-drop to footage of gun battles"....
Bradby and Peston are two of the most condescending, pompous journalists on TV, in my opinion. That's why I don't watch the programme anymore.
NE
newsman1
GMc posted:

A news programme isn't meant to be "amusing" - it's meant to tell us the top stories of the da, in an unbiased, non-patronising way.
I'm slightly flabbergasted at your comment: "It's present theme tune is appropriate as a back-drop to footage of gun battles"....
Bradby and Peston are two of the most condescending, pompous journalists on TV, in my opinion. That's why I don't watch the programme anymore.

Bradby gets many positive comments on his Facebook page.
GM
GMc
GMc posted:

So does Donald Trump. Doesn't mean to say he is the best at what he does...
NE
newsman1
GMc posted:
GMc posted:

Bradby has experience as political editor and a correspondent in Northern Ireland and Asia. That means that he is qualified to be a full-time newscaster.
NE
Newsroom
GMc posted:

Bradby has experience as political editor and a correspondent in Northern Ireland and Asia. That means that he is qualified to be a full-time newscaster.

LOL. Ummmm ok.
NE
newsman1
GMc posted:

LOL. Ummmm ok.

What's so funny? Any well-experienced television news journalist can read the news.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think it's been established recently, possibly in this very thread, that reporting and presenting are entirely different skills. That somebody is excellent at one does not imply that they can do the other.
BR
Brekkie
He has his own style but I think a year on although it certainly rocked the boat it was the right move editorially. News at Ten has a purpose once again rather than just reheating the evenings leftovers, and though Tom Bradby will never be to everyones taste neither was Jeremy Paxman, and I think this revamp was more about making him ITV's equivalent to Paxman rather than Huw Edwards.

I suspect News at Ten and more specifically Tom might be pushed a bit more by ITV now Mark Austin has quit - we've very much gone from a lead presenting team of 4 equals to one person spearheading the team, whether they want him too or not.
NE
newsman1

I suspect News at Ten and more specifically Tom might be pushed a bit more by ITV now Mark Austin has quit - we've very much gone from a lead presenting team of 4 equals to one person spearheading the team, whether they want him too or not.

Could that be in doubt given ITV's plan to move the bulletin to 10:30 for at least 8 weeks to make way for a nightly chat show?
AA
Aaron_2015

Could that be in doubt given ITV's plan to move the bulletin to 10:30 for at least 8 weeks to make way for a nightly chat show?

That won't be until next year anyway. ITV are filming a 10 part pilot this month, which won't air. Apparently it's in preparation for a 40 part run next year.
BR
Brekkie

I still think that is very much a case of one journalist getting their wires crossed and everyone seemingly taking it as fact. I'd be surprised if any chat show went out before 10.30pm.

Newer posts