The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NW
nwtv2003
Sky analogue viewers for a while had two feeds of CNBC post merger, the 24/7 pan-European FTA feed and the encrypted EBN feed, which timeshared with another channel, so went off-air at noon.

Correct CNBC inherited the old EBN timeshare of 6am-12pm on Trouble/Bravo. When TCC ended in April 1998, the slot then moved to Challenge TV for the same hours, however by July 1998 the feed was removed in favour of an all day TV Travel Shop.

CNBC also had a slot on the former NBC Europe between 5am-11am, this also carried on when NBC was replaced by National Geographic (using NBC's slot), however when NBC was removed the station was only viewable on the continent.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Worth noting in that clip Ed Mitchell moved across from EBN to CNBC, so did continue to present Media Report. Style Cafe I think was another EBN show.
NW
nwtv2003
Worth noting in that clip Ed Mitchell moved across from EBN to CNBC, so did continue to present Media Report. Style Cafe I think was another EBN show.

From memory the majority of EBN shows moved over and were revamped, but I don't think they lasted too long.

We had our service through Cable & Wireless who removed CNBC (along with Trouble/Bravo) by October 1998. Never saw any of those services again until we switched to Digital a couple of years later.
WW
WW Update
ZDF, Germany; news intros & more from the broadcaster's first day in its new facilities, 1984:

BTW, can anyone who is Morse Code proficient tell us what, if anything, does the code in the news theme spell?
Last edited by WW Update on 30 October 2016 5:35pm
SN
The SNT Three

BTW, can anyone who is Morse Code proficient tell us what, if anything, does the code in the news theme spell?

h-e-u-t-e Laughing

There are still beeps in the titles these days, but I don't think the letters are distinguishable.
WW
WW Update
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks.
QN
Quatorzine Neko
Now that I think about it, there are several broadcasters that use Morse code beeps in their newscasts intros. One example, other than ZDF, that pops in my mind, is French broadcaster M6, which used Morse code beeps in "Le Six Minutes" (code M-6) and which still uses them more discretely for "Le 19.45" & "Le 12.45" (if I'm not wrong, code M-6-L-E-1).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsldTCD2cqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j60DQZfuWfI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCU8D3xQrc
Last edited by Quatorzine Neko on 30 October 2016 6:42pm - 3 times in total
WW
WW Update
A compilation of RTL (Germany) news intros from the 1980s to the present day (a similar video was taken down several years ago):

WW
WW Update
RTS, Switzerland (French), 2016:

SE
seamus

CBC Igalaaq ᐃᒐᓛᖅ "Window", 2015. Interesting dual use of the Roman alphabet and Inuktitut script.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Back to France's i>Télé where we've seen the first senior presenter resignation.

QN
Quatorzine Neko
This new resignation, and the still ongoing strike (15 days of strike now), place some doubts over whether i>Télé will broadcast the second debate of the Les Républicains party primaries or not.

This debate is scheduled on November 3rd and should normally be broadcast jointly by BFMTV and i>Télé.

Newer posts