The Newsroom

Channel 4 News

(November 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update

I recall a storm-in-a-teacup about Fiona Bruce wearing a cross. The BBC said that she could wear a cross as long as it wasn't as big as the one a bishop wears.

Yes, you've got to be consistent. If you accept one, it's difficult to object to the other.
NE
newsman1

I recall a storm-in-a-teacup about Fiona Bruce wearing a cross. The BBC said that she could wear a cross as long as it wasn't as big as the one a bishop wears.

Yes, you've got to be consistent. If you accept one, it's difficult to object to the other.

A hijab that is worn the way Fatima wears it and a small crucifix are not intrusive (I guess that Channel 4 and ITN reckon that most viewers are used to seeing women wearing hijabs). However, a turban would be intrusive (An issue that is unlikely to arise because there is no male mainstream British broadcast journalist who is a practising Sikh).
DA
davidhorman
A hijab that is worn the way Fatima wears it and a small crucifix are not intrusive [...] However, a turban would be intrusive (An issue that is unlikely to arise because there is no male mainstream British broadcast journalist who is a practising Sikh).

How do you conclude that a turban is more "intrusive" than a hijab?
Nicky and bilky asko gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
there is no male mainstream British broadcast journalist who is a practising Sikh

Does Hardeep Singh Kohli not qualify?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Stretching the definition of Broadcast Journalist, I think
DV
dvboy

A hijab that is worn the way Fatima wears it and a small crucifix are not intrusive (I guess that Channel 4 and ITN reckon that most viewers are used to seeing women wearing hijabs). However, a turban would be intrusive (An issue that is unlikely to arise because there is no male mainstream British broadcast journalist who is a practising Sikh).

What? Shocked
BR
Brekkie
It's all about normalising it. Yes, you notice it at first but hopefully soon judge on her merits, not her religious attire, and she's proven herself to be a bloody good newscaster and journalist.
NE
newsman1
there is no male mainstream British broadcast journalist who is a practising Sikh

Does Hardeep Singh Kohli not qualify?

He's not a news reporter.
NE
newsman1
dvboy posted:

What? Shocked

My point is that Fatima's hijab doesn't stand out, i.e. it doesn't distract viewers. I mentioned the crucifix with regard to Fiona Bruce, who I mentioned slightly earlier in this thread.
AS
ASO
Could you tell me why a turban would be intrusive?
NE
newsman1
ASO posted:
Could you tell me why a turban would be intrusive?

Because it would distract viewers from the actual news.
BR
Brekkie
Only bigotted idiots.

Newer posts