Media Websites

Youtube Warning

BBC WW Blocking closedown clips (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AW
a wiseman
BBC WW blocked a YouTube video of mine, seemingly because of the 90 second BBC News 24 countdown it contained.
They also blocked another one of "The Rush Hour" used a few years back with the French guy jumping over rooftops.

Strangest block was continuity on Anglia TV - it was blocked on certain devices (so not allowed on iPad app but fine in iPad browser!) because of a B&Q commercial!

I've left them all blocked for now.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I've had a couple of run-ins since claims from BBC WW, but rather than lifting the ban, I get an email saying that the claim has been upheld. However, the video is still available, even when I watch it while I'm logged out of my account (you can still watch your own blocked videos if you're signed in).
AE
AlexEdohHD13
I've had a couple of run-ins since claims from BBC WW, but rather than lifting the ban, I get an email saying that the claim has been upheld. However, the video is still available, even when I watch it while I'm logged out of my account (you can still watch your own blocked videos if you're signed in).

I have a few copyright claims from BBC Worldwide but not strikes. The videos are still online on my AETC (Alexander Edoh's Television Captures) channel.

8 days later

LL
London Lite Founding member
I've now got two strikes from the BBC (not Worldwide) over clips posted from BBC News in the last couple of months. Strangely nothing before that, as if they've picked a selection of vids and left the rest alone.
LL
Larry the Loafer
That's because it's all automated. There's no consistency whatsoever.
LL
That's because it's all automated. There's no consistency whatsoever.

They even skipped some BBC vids I uploaded as well.

I then had to watch a patronising 'Copyright School' video and then answer questions to regain access to my channel. I've switched to posting vids on Dailymotion for BBC content for now.
LL
They've closed my channel for "mulitple copyright infringements" yet there are pervert YT channels using the same BBC content for dubious means. *shakes head*
LL
Larry the Loafer
The issues with the copyright system on YouTube are far from being ignored. There are many high profile YouTubers calling them out for what are odious and unfair practices that favour the claimants, regardless of whether or not their claim has any weight to it.
JA
JAS84
It should be on the claimant to prove that they own the content. Not the uploader. If they don't own the content, then the claim would be refused. That would weed out the false positives.
LL
Here's a clear copyright issue which the BBC should be taking action against, the video has been zoomed in and manipulated.

There's no need to play the video, the screengrab from the shot of the video shows exactly why it's wrong.

I've had copyright notices from other owners on YT for music or other content, but have allowed me to use the content.

For those of us who post presentation videos of BBC content, it's a worrying issue.
JO
Jon
How many times did you watch that video before forming that opinion?
LL
Jon posted:
How many times did you watch that video before forming that opinion?

What are you trying to imply Jon, or is it another poor joke?

Newer posts