The Newsroom

New look BBC Parliament

Monday 10th October 2:30pm (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Worzel
rob posted:
A few images...

Well that's a consistent look isn't it. Rolling Eyes
DJ
DJGM
The music is dreary, the idents look like a bad mock made with a pirated copy of Photoshop, and as already mentioned, the new logo doesn't match up with the onscreen graphics. Overall, 1 out of 10, and that's being generous!

Back to the drawing board ... or Lambie-Nairn!
bkman1990 and PFML84 gave kudos
QN
Quatorzine Neko
To be honest, when I saw these pictures of the rebranding of BBC Parliament, I thought for a second that they were converting into a channel dedicated to biking.
DO
dosxuk
To be honest, when I saw these pictures of the rebranding of BBC Parliament, I thought for a second that they were converting into a channel dedicated to biking.

Did you really now, or were you looking for a cheap laugh? Rolling Eyes
QN
Quatorzine Neko
I assure you I really thought so for a second. I think this new branding is so little evocating a parliamentary channel, and the wheels, to me, look way more like a bike chainset than like the gears of democracy… Also, it is way less solemn than the previous branding… However, I like the use of the Helvetica font here, in various weighs.

(But if it makes some of you laugh, then it's okay too. I'd rather have my words making people laugh than making people cry.)
Last edited by Quatorzine Neko on 11 October 2016 5:08pm
GE
thegeek Founding member
Joe posted:
Also, Rob, is the black screen at the start of the link on your video your fault or their fault? These things can't really be helped but it's a poor start to a new look!

The black screen at the beginning is the fault of playout at Milibank Studios.

BBC Parliament's playout moved from (the ITV-owned) Millbank Studios to BBC Millbank a few years ago - 2010 or 2011, I think.
RO
rob Founding member
Joe posted:
Also, Rob, is the black screen at the start of the link on your video your fault or their fault? These things can't really be helped but it's a poor start to a new look!

Their fault. I did think it was my fault at first!
RE
Rex
Joe posted:

BBC Parliament's playout moved from (the ITV-owned) Millbank Studios to BBC Millbank a few years ago - 2010 or 2011, I think.

I stand corrected. I always thought Parliament got played out at Milibank Studios!
RK
Rkolsen

I stand corrected. I always thought Parliament got played out at Milibank Studios!

Looks like BBC Parliament is based at 4 Milbank. The BBC occupies the entire first floor and half of the top (6th) floor.

http://www.4millbank.co.uk/description.htm

Edit: Milbank Studios is at the same address.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 12 October 2016 1:29am
CO
Colorband
Well, this is awkward. It's showing me a 9th page when there is none. Ok, lemme make one...

I think the new look is OK. It doesn't hold a candle to the old look (which should have just had colors added), but it's alright... for 2016.
JU
Justin
The Music is dire. Go back to David Lowe and get him to do something orchestral that still links in to BBC News.

This music was done by David Lowe. He's posted the full 3 minute clip on his site.
WH
whoiam989
The Music is dire. Go back to David Lowe and get him to do something orchestral that still links in to BBC News.

This music was done by David Lowe. He's posted the full 3 minute clip on his site.

And one tabloid paper would say 'Is David Lowe Losing His Charm?'

Newer posts