Mass Media & Technology

SNG, Mobile Uplinks, Bonded Cellular and Downlinks

Split from BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
mapperuo
Seem like Sky News have ditched their SIS branded trucks, used to see SIS 48-51 on 16e all the time but now it's just 'Ranger' labelled testcards which I believe are the smaller none branded 4x4 vans - More cost savings for Sky News?
HA
harshy Founding member
Is 16e the place to try BBC/sky feeds might give it a go before the main local news bulletins tomorrow.
MA
mapperuo
Generally speaking they do use 16e:

Sky use 11080 H-11188 H, They are always 9999 symbol rate unless it's en election when they half it to 4999 to fit more in.

BBC use 12670 V - 12750 V - You'll find some at 2399 symbol rate, 4798 and 7199. They occasionally also use 16APSK for their HD SNGs.

I've seen BBC, especially BBC Scotland, still use 12.5w. Sky generally stick to 16e but for big events like Elections they do rent more space elsewhere.

32 days later

GE
thegeek Founding member

133 days later

ST
Ste Founding member
[[Mod edit: Image removed due to real phone number being present - please blur if you wish to re-post it.]]

From a BBC feed in January,
NG
noggin Founding member
Could I suggest that you remove that or blur/mask the phone numbers out of courtesy to the people who work there?
BA
bilky asko
If you do blur the numbers, let the record show that the phone numbers have been spaced incorrectly.
EL
elmarko
If you do blur the numbers, let the record show that the phone numbers have been spaced incorrectly.

Nerd!

(Yeah, bugged me too)
SC
scottishtv Founding member
I noticed there were a few sat trucks (and a radio car) used as props on drama The Moorside, for a court scene on Tuesday night's airing:

I'd assumed the BBC must've come to some sort of arrangement with ITV to book a couple of their branded vehicles for filming purposes, but then I realised it was actually an ITV Studios production for the BBC - so it was probably the other way round!
GE
thegeek Founding member
after some Googling... it appears that the large leaf sculpture is outside Bradford Crown Court, which means the dishes are pointing in the right sort of direction for Eutelsat 7A or 16A, which are often used by UK broadcasters for news feeds.

from dishpointer.com

Also, that's the old ITV logo on those trucks - attention to detail, or have they just not rebranded them yet? Smile
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Good attention to detail for them to get one of the old BBC Local Radio UHF radio cars. A load of them were being sold off at auction after being replaced by VERV vehicles. Livery is all wrong, and the replacement front bumper too, mind you.
UK
ukpetey
Defocussed! *

Newer posts