TV Home Forum

Crimewatch with Jeremy Vine and Tina Daheley

(August 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
Trouble is there arn't many studios left to make it in. Llandaff's going and because of the shortage of production space the costs are through the roof.

The old studio being on its way out and therefore not getting an upgrade explains why Crimewatch was the last networked programme on BBC One to still be made in SD.
FB
Fluffy Bunny Feet
dvboy posted:
It must be a pain to set up all the telephony on location each week. They would be better off filming it in a police station incident room.

You'd need a "clean" Incident Room - police are not keen on evidence / photos and the like being spotted on TV.
I suppose they could dress up a press conference to look a bit more interesting.
Phone centre comms are not a problem as they don't take any live callers - they'd just pass on information as they do now.
NG
noggin Founding member
Trouble is there arn't many studios left to make it in. Llandaff's going and because of the shortage of production space the costs are through the roof.

The old studio being on its way out and therefore not getting an upgrade explains why Crimewatch was the last networked programme on BBC One to still be made in SD.

Though for at least some of its time in Wales, Crimewatch didn't come from a TV studio, but was a 4-waller with an OB truck parked outside.
NG
noggin Founding member
RDJ posted:

They could move the operation to Pacific Quay in Glasgow or MediacityUK in Salford if there is a concern for studio space. TVC's remaining three studios should be opening back up for use in a years time so they're always an option but granted three is not many.'

Crimewatch used to be one of the few shows, along with Watchdog and Strictly It Takes Two, to be small enough to fit into TC2...

As many have repeatedly said before, whilst it may be technically true that TVC is reopening with 3 studios, they are the wrong 3... (But the 3 that remain are very convenient for carving the building up) TC2 is far too small to be useful for the majority of studio shows the BBC curently make - and TC1 is great, but far too big for most shows. TC3 is perfect for a lot of stuff. As were TC4, 6 and 8... The BBC should have ended up with something like TC1, TC3 and TC4...
DV
dvboy
dvboy posted:
It must be a pain to set up all the telephony on location each week. They would be better off filming it in a police station incident room.

You'd need a "clean" Incident Room - police are not keen on evidence / photos and the like being spotted on TV.
I suppose they could dress up a press conference to look a bit more interesting.
Phone centre comms are not a problem as they don't take any live callers - they'd just pass on information as they do now.

Ah yes I was thinking more along the lines of a training facility maybe.
NG
noggin Founding member
dvboy posted:
dvboy posted:

Ah yes I was thinking more along the lines of a training facility maybe.

Suspect finding such a location that can guarantee not to be used 1 day a week may be a struggle.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Has The Bill set at Merton gone now?
BR
Brekkie
Have they left London at all?
ST
Stuart

This picture from Google Street View from last summer, shows that the outside of the building has been altered and painted to no longer look like a Police Station.

I think the internal sets have also been dismantled.

http://i63.tinypic.com/23uejkj.jpg
© Mr Google
TL
toby lerone 2016

According to the link below most of the set went in 2013 although I believe the exterior set is still there
http://www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk/independent%20tv%20studios.htm#wimbledon

Edit: Stuart beat me to the picture but look at the link for a comprehensive history anyway
NG
noggin Founding member
The Merton operation rebranded as Wimbledon studios didn't it. They had a small amount of success, but then closed. It was expected that the site would be repurposed, but unusually a Persian broadcaster, who had made shows there, decided to take over at least some of the site and make shows there. (Tricky to make shows in Iran...)
TR
TROGGLES
RDJ posted:

They could move the operation to Pacific Quay in Glasgow or MediacityUK in Salford if there is a concern for studio space. TVC's remaining three studios should be opening back up for use in a years time so they're always an option but granted three is not many.'

Crimewatch used to be one of the few shows, along with Watchdog and Strictly It Takes Two, to be small enough to fit into TC2...

As many have repeatedly said before, whilst it may be technically true that TVC is reopening with 3 studios, they are the wrong 3... (But the 3 that remain are very convenient for carving the building up) TC2 is far too small to be useful for the majority of studio shows the BBC curently make - and TC1 is great, but far too big for most shows. TC3 is perfect for a lot of stuff. As were TC4, 6 and 8... The BBC should have ended up with something like TC1, TC3 and TC4...

As I understand it as of now TC2 will be used for set storage. There is no permanent control room planned only 1 & 3 are to have money spent on the refit. Things change from month to month so its a wait and see.

Newer posts