TV Home Forum

BBC loses Great British Bake Off

UPDATE: Mel and Sue quit as hosts (September 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Quote:
The current series of The Great British Bake Off will be the last to air on the BBC after the company behind the baking programme broke off talks to renew their contract with the corporation.

Love Productions, which makes the programme, confirmed this evening that it had been "unable to reach agreement on terms to renew the commission of The Great British Bake Off," after negotiations that had dragged on for more than a year.

The company is understood to be keen to seal a deal with a free to air broadcaster, and ITV is seen to be the most likely destination for the show.

In an email to all staff, Love Productions said: "We are writing to let you all know that, with deep regret, after more than a year of exhaustive negotiations we have been unable to reach an agreement with the BBC for the renewal of The Great British Bake Off.

"We feel it is very important to let you all know as soon as possible because there has been a lot of inaccurate reporting in the media about the negotiations and we want you to be aware of the main facts.

"We are really saddened by this outcome because we always wanted to stay on the BBC. As recently as June we were convinced that was what would happen. This has never been about who might write the biggest cheque, but about where we can find the best home for Bake Off.

"Unfortunately we were unable to agree either a fair valuation, and nor were the BBC able to provide the necessary comfort for the future protection of such a distinctive and much-loved television series.

The company added in a statement: “After an extraordinary six-year journey with the BBC, Love Productions announces with regret that it has been unable to reach agreement on terms to renew the commission of The Great British Bake Off. We will now be focusing on finding a new partner to develop the familiar show that the British public turn to in their millions. Love Productions would like to thank the BBC for the role it played in making this show such an enormous hit, and the faith they showed in us over the years to develop it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/12/bbc-loses-great-british-bake-off/

EDIT 1: Changed subtitle from 'Likely to go to ITV' to 'UPDATE: Channel 4 signs three year deal'
EDIT 2: Changed subtitle to 'UPDATE: Mel and Sue quit as hosts'
Last edited by VMPhil on 13 September 2016 4:41pm - 3 times in total
SL
Shaun Linden
If it does go to ITV they can only dream about getting the ratings it gets now because it will drop quite a bit.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I don't watch the show, but isn't it a bit too middle-class for ITV's C2DE demographic? Still, I think the French version is on M6.
WW
WW Update
If it does go to ITV they can only dream about getting the ratings it gets now because it will drop quite a bit.

I've read similar comments on Twitter, but I'm confused: Surely people are loyal to individual shows rather than channels? If the show remains otherwise unchanged, why would a move two channel positions higher cause a ratings drop?
WL
W1LL
Haven't Paul and Mary said they refuse to move from the BBC? Can't see the programme being much of a success on ITV without them. Love Productions selling their soul to the devil by the sounds of it.
NI
nigel
Sorry, won't be watching it on ITV.

Can just see it being sexed up. The fact that it'll cut down from its hour to include commercial breaks will ruin the flow of the program.
Neil__, Warbler and Custard56 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member

I've read similar comments on Twitter, but I'm confused: Surely people are loyal to individual shows rather than channels? If the show remains otherwise unchanged, why would a move two channel positions higher cause a ratings drop?

If it was on ITV the ratings would be lower than on BBC1, if it moved to Channel 4 it'd be lower again, if it moved to Channel 5 even lower. It's how it works.
SL
Shaun Linden

There is an effect usually when a show switches channels. Look at Neighbours and Big Brother. Although both shows had been declining in ratings for years, the switch of channels increased the decline dramatically. That said, the Great British Bake Off could be different, but i'd be very surprised.
VM
VMPhil

Previous news reports have indicated that much of the current presenting team will refuse to continue being on the show if it moves to another channel. Shows that have switched channels in the past haven't usually fared better after moving, with rare exceptions.

Media Twitter is complaining about adverts but that never stopped The X Factor becoming the biggest show on TV at its peak.
HA
harshy Founding member
It will go onto ITV and it will be presented by Phil and Holly or worse Ant and Dec.
WW
WW Update
Previous news reports have indicated that much of the current presenting team will refuse to continue being on the show if it moves to another channel.

Ah, that changes things.
NI
nigel
Sky own Love Productions... Hmmmm.

Newer posts