TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
harshy Founding member
rdd posted:
News today that Virgin Media in Ireland will pull all the EirSport, Premier Sports, and BT Sport channels from their platform as of 1st August 2016, having failed to agree a renewal on their carriage deal.

No one really wins from this - EirSport are losing a lot of advertising revenue from their basic carriage and great EPG position (105) on the Virgin Media platform, Virgin Media will lose pretty much any commercial customers they had left (for whom BT Sport with their Saturday 5:30pm KOs is pretty much a necessity, not to mention their European Cup rugby), and there are customers who might now be tied into 18 month contracts who won't be happy (though given the circumstances they might be able to cancel).

Virgin will most likely lose a good chunk of its install base thanks to the loss of BT Sport. As for sport, Sky and Eir will probably gain more support as a result.

In Britain, Virgin has lost TV customers simply due to the fact that their TV service hasn't been marketed well and with the stiff competition from Sky, BT, TalkTalk and from streaming services such as NOW TV.

Got to admit I am on Virgin and their tv packages are way too expensive.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Premier Sports is leaving TalkTalk TV next month.

http://www.a516digital.com/2016/07/talktalk-axes-one-of-its-sports-boosts.html
RE
Rex

TalkTalk's TV service has been diminishing quite recently, especially with the removal of Discovery's channels (Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC and H&H).
BR
Brekkie
Do TalkTalk and BT use the same channel numbers - I just assumed both offered "Youview" and pretty much the same selection of channels but perhaps packaged differently.
RE
Rex
Do TalkTalk and BT use the same channel numbers - I just assumed both offered "Youview" and pretty much the same selection of channels but perhaps packaged differently.

They use the same channel numbers - LCNs 300 - 599, but their channel selection is different. Both offer channels such as the pay UKTV channels, Nat Geo, Universal, Syfy, etc. But some channels are carried on BT but not TalkTalk (Discovery, AMC) while some are only on TalkTalk (Sky1, Sky Living, Fox).
RD
rdd Founding member
Incidentally, as part of their attempts to stem the inevitable ball of outrage from the departure of Eir/BT Sport, Virgin Media (Ireland) have announced they've signed a new deal with Sky for their channels, among which is Sky Sports Mix which they have said is launching, on their platform at any rate, on 23rd August. Sky have been remarkably quiet about this, so it's good to hear some news.
RE
Rex
Virgin Media in the UK are reshuffling Sky Sports channels back to the designated location they were supposed to, following on from Sky's move.
This will take place on July 26th.
501 - 508 (Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, NewsHQ, F1 HD)
511 - 518 (SD streams)

Channels 507 and 517 are reserved for Sky Sports Mix, which is launching on August 24th.
Last edited by Rex on 19 July 2016 12:13am
VM
VMPhil
Virgin Media in the UK are reshuffling Sky Sports channels back to the designated location they were supposed to, following on from Sky's move.
501 - 506 (Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, NewsHQ HD)
511 - 516 (SD streams)

Praise be to Virgin Media! Hoping for the imminent removal of 'HQ' from Sky Sports News. (I like the theory that they wanted to call it 'Sky Sports HQ' and put it at the top of the EPG, but someone disagreed and they came up with the horrible compromise of 'Sky Sports News HQ')
RE
Rex
501 - 506 (Sky Sports 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, NewsHQ HD)
511 - 516 (SD streams)

Praise be to Virgin Media! Hoping for the imminent removal of 'HQ' from Sky Sports News. (I like the theory that they wanted to call it 'Sky Sports HQ' and put it at the top of the EPG, but someone disagreed and they came up with the horrible compromise of 'Sky Sports News HQ')

Also, while this is off topic, some UKTV channels and BBC4 HD are moving channel numbers.
124 - GOLD
125 - W
126 - Alibi
127 - Dave
128 - Drama
129 - Really
130 - Alibi+1
131 - W+1
190 - GOLD+1
211 - Dave ja vu

Honestly considering that W is the flagship UKTV channel and Dave has enjoyed channel prominence over Alibi I don't think putting Gold and Alibi over W and Dave makes sense. Good to see Drama and surprisingly, Really gain prominence in the EPG.

Following the BBC's culling of BBC Three from linear TV, BBC Four HD is moving to channel 163.
VM
VMPhil
Well, if that list is true, then Dave is actually getting a promotion because it's currently on 128. And it's interesting that Gold is moving to 124, because that's the channel number it was on for many years before the launch of Watch/W.

It's a bit odd though not to pair Drama and Alibi. And even more odd to have the +1 channels separate from the main channels, if this list is true/correct of course.
RE
Rex
Well, if that list is true, then Dave is actually getting a promotion because it's currently on 128. And it's interesting that Gold is moving to 124, because that's the channel number it was on for many years before the launch of Watch/W.

It's a bit odd though not to pair Drama and Alibi. And even more odd to have the +1 channels separate from the main channels, if this list is true/correct of course.

Dave is going up by one slot but I did think it would be better giving it channel 126 compared to Alibi.
Drama was given channel 128 - which rings bells with Granada Plus considering both channels relied on archive material and Plus occupied channel 128 before it closed in 2004.
GE
thegeek Founding member
London Stadium (that's the Olympic Stadium to you and me) is hosting the Müller Anniversary Games this weekend - which is a combination of the London leg of the Diamond League, plus the IPC Grand Prix Final.

the BBC have coverage of the athletics on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon, and More4 are doing the Parasports coverage on Saturday morning. There's even an hour's overlap.

Newer posts