TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TL
toby lerone 2016
On the BBC Open Golf coverage they are having clips on their live text like they have been doing for this years Test & ODI Cricket and Euro 2016 and Wayne Grady also returned to the BBC Coverage for the first time in 3 years for the tournament, he wasn't on Thursday night and I missed the show on Friday night but he was in the studio with Hazel last night and also commentated with the usual BBC team.
HA
harshy Founding member
rdd posted:
Eirsport are using those graphics too, so presumably they are the "world feed" graphics. They're huge, and horrible.

Terrible compared to last years world feed which were very similar to the BBC Sport style and were massively better

Am hearing rumours that ITV4 will announce secondary US Open Tennis Rights later in the week. Eurosport not claiming exclusivity on their promos might give this some validity.

Good news if it happens, have to give credit to ITV4 French Open Coverage which has been excellent the last few years.

The open graphics not much better on NBC Golf either it's a variation on the world graphics but still huge, sky definitely has the best graphics.
DV
dvboy
Davis Cup dead rubber being shown on the BBC Sport website this evening with no commentary.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/36543053
HA
harshy Founding member
I was on it earlier and there seemed to be commentary maybe it came later?
DV
dvboy
Unless I happened to rewind to points that happened to have no commentary. Do you know who was commentating?
HA
harshy Founding member
No idea dvboy I only watched two minutes Sad
:-(
A former member
Question:

When does Jim white present Sky sport news? I have never spotted him of the many times I have catch coverage., is he only on the main footy season? or just deadline transfere day?
HB
HarryB
Question:

When does Jim white present Sky sport news? I have never spotted him of the many times I have catch coverage., is he only on the main footy season? or just deadline transfere day?

Jim White normally presents News HQ at Five & Six alongside Kirsty Gallagher.
:-(
A former member
Cheers, so its only a very short window. does he have any other duties with Sky sports?
ST
Ste Founding member
I don't know if he still does but I have seen him present Scottish Football (SPL/SFA Cup) on Sky Sports too.
RD
rdd Founding member
News today that Virgin Media in Ireland will pull all the EirSport, Premier Sports, and BT Sport channels from their platform as of 1st August 2016, having failed to agree a renewal on their carriage deal.

No one really wins from this - EirSport are losing a lot of advertising revenue from their basic carriage and great EPG position (105) on the Virgin Media platform, Virgin Media will lose pretty much any commercial customers they had left (for whom BT Sport with their Saturday 5:30pm KOs is pretty much a necessity, not to mention their European Cup rugby), and there are customers who might now be tied into 18 month contracts who won't be happy (though given the circumstances they might be able to cancel).
RE
Rex
rdd posted:
News today that Virgin Media in Ireland will pull all the EirSport, Premier Sports, and BT Sport channels from their platform as of 1st August 2016, having failed to agree a renewal on their carriage deal.

No one really wins from this - EirSport are losing a lot of advertising revenue from their basic carriage and great EPG position (105) on the Virgin Media platform, Virgin Media will lose pretty much any commercial customers they had left (for whom BT Sport with their Saturday 5:30pm KOs is pretty much a necessity, not to mention their European Cup rugby), and there are customers who might now be tied into 18 month contracts who won't be happy (though given the circumstances they might be able to cancel).

Virgin will most likely lose a good chunk of its install base thanks to the loss of BT Sport. As for sport, Sky and Eir will probably gain more support as a result.

In Britain, Virgin has lost TV customers simply due to the fact that their TV service hasn't been marketed well and with the stiff competition from Sky, BT, TalkTalk and from streaming services such as NOW TV.

Newer posts