TV Home Forum

New look Top Gear

with Chris Evans, Matt LeBlanc, et al . . . (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
DJGM
. . . starts this evening on BBC Two at 8pm.

I thought since it's the norm on TVF to start new threads for big TV relaunches, and this one is perhaps the biggest so far this year, to start afresh with a new thread for the new series. The previous thread is about the run-up to the new series, how Chris Evans got the hosting gig and the guff in the press about it.

It's a new chapter for TG. The Clarkson era is over ... at least until "The Grand Tour" begins!
Last edited by DJGM on 29 May 2016 4:17pm
AS
Asa Admin
I've deleted all the pointless posts and bickering. Interesting on-topic posts only from now on please.
:-(
A former member
With that, BBC News has been running a report about the return all day on the news channel, given some details what to expect.
LL
London Lite Founding member
BBC World News were featuring (promoting) the new show on Friday by repeating the interview with Chris Evans from Breakfast.
DJ
DJGM
Here we go ... I'll comment after the show is over!
A former member
There updated to car ident. going into Top gear plus there is new titles, but the same music.
LL
Larry the Loafer
There's already a nod to Clarkson's delivery in the intro. I can hear the angry Twitterati typing right now.
DV
DVB Cornwall
.... and the Catering reference. Can hear the Amazonians grumbling.
HC
Hatton Cross
Ignoring the brutal cut away audience reaction hiding edit in the first studio link - this reminds me of going back to your old house, nosing through the windows, and seeing the new owners have changed the wallpaper, but left the carpet and the same pictures on the walls.
MA
Markymark
The Indian restaurant staff bit was rather 'Alan Partridge'
A former member
Ignoring the brutal cut away audience reaction hiding edit in the first studio link - this reminds me of going back to your old house, nosing through the windows, and seeing the new owners have changed the wallpaper, but left the carpet and the same pictures on the walls.

There could never make major changes in this series, it has to be the same while feeling a bit different. I see there kept the old league table.

Also where are the other presenters?
LL
Larry the Loafer
The impression I'm getting so far is that it's lost its "Top Gear-ness" even though they seem to be clinging onto the spirit of the show with dear life. It's different but it's the same.... I can't quite explain it. I do get the feeling if they let the Top Gear name go, this show would have a far easier time in the foreseeable future.

The Indian restaurant staff bit was rather 'Alan Partridge'

I wondered if it was to wind up the far-right who were desperate for some xenophobia.

Newer posts