TV Home Forum

S4C HD Test

28.2E Clear For Now? (April 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
In other countries they've put "HD" in a channel name even if the first language isn't English, haven't they?

Certainly in France and Switzerland for example.

In those cases, HD stands for Haute Définition.

HD is also used in Germany, Austria and German speaking areas of Switzerland, where I believe the direct German translation is Hochauflösend?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In other countries they've put "HD" in a channel name even if the first language isn't English, haven't they?

Bit of a fudge though - wouldn't the words usually be the other way round, adjective after the noun?
WH
Whataday Founding member

Bit of a fudge though - wouldn't the words usually be the other way round, adjective after the noun?

No I think it's a play on haute couture.
GA
Garethni

Haut is an adjective which comes before the noun. Most go after but some go in front.
Steve in Pudsey and London Lite gave kudos
:-(
A former member
It seems the S4C HD test was encrypted after 4pm - at least, no recordings I made after then will play and the channel no longer displays on DVBS2 tuner.

9 days later

RI
Richard
High definition in Welsh would be Diffiniad Uchel or DU for short. The only compilation with that would be S4C DU would read as S4C Black to those that don't understand the capitalisation of DU with out it being D.U.

Using S4C HD wouldn't work (for obvious reasons as HD means nothing in Welsh).

S4C previously used Clirlun for HD.

Which I think means "clear view"
DV
dvboy
It translates directly as "clear picture".

18 days later

RE
remlap
Clear again same frequency.
RO
Rofters
S4C HD will launch on June 7th.
CY
cyberdude

Will it replace the SD version at 104/117 on the Sky EPG, like BBC, ITV and Channel 5?
SN
Silver Nemesis

Will it replace the SD version at 104/117 on the Sky EPG, like BBC, ITV and Channel 5?

On 104, yes it seems: http://www.a516digital.com/2016/05/s4c-makes-return-to-hd-broadcasting-in.html (NB 117 is C4 SD). With the recent addition of C5 FTA, that leaves BBC2 Wales as the last of the main five channels in Wales to not broadcast in HD.

Should be noted S4C HD - for that is indeed what they're calling it, no translation or revival of Clirlun - won't be on Freeview this time (for now at least), nor on Virgin except for the Euro 2016 games (some kind of temporary red button deal perhaps?)
ST
steveboswell
I hope they take the opportunity to drop the "digidol" from their name on the EPG, a relic from the pre-switchover days.

Newer posts