The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
And here's Abendschau, the main local newscast for the Berlin part of RBB's Berlin-Brandenburg dual region:

And for the other part, Brandenburg, this is Brandenburg Aktuell:

MO
Mouseboy33
Speaking of WBBM Chicago. At the height of their disastorous tabloid error (era). Featuring the NBC Nightly News presenter Lester Holt.
MA
mark Founding member
NextRadioTV, the owner of the French news channel BFM TV, is launching two new news channels: BFM Paris, a local news channel for the capital, and BFM Sport, a sports news channel: http://www.francetvsport.fr/omnisport/bfmtv-va-lancer-2-nouvelles-chaines-bfm-sport-et-bfm-paris-331659

It'll be really interesting to see how BFM Paris does, as I know the national news channels are already very popular in Paris.

In theory, there's no reason why a similar channel wouldn't work in London - the fact is, no-one's tried to do one since the 90s, and they didn't do it right then, so no-one really knows. My gut says that if it was good-quality, useful enough with lots of emphasis on travel and weather, and was heavily marketed, it would do ok.
Mouseboy33 and WW Update gave kudos
WW
WW Update
DR2, Denmark, 2016:

WW
WW Update
Speaking of WBBM Chicago. At the height of their disastorous tabloid error (era). Featuring the NBC Nightly News presenter Lester Holt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSqFBTkbNUM

And ABC's Elizabeth Vargas.
MO
Mouseboy33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSqFBTkbNUM

And ABC's Elizabeth Vargas.

Its funny. Because the opening was so flashy and frenetic that the old CRT tv's used to pop and crackle during the opening sequence when it is spelling C-H-I-C-A-G-O. Bill Applegate the GM created this format and heavily borrowed from WSVN. The music is composed by WSVN's in house composer Chris Crane and the announcer is Scott Chapin and his sinister tones. WBBM hired loads of WSVN reporters and anchors. This tabloid strategy worked for a while, but Bill Applegate left for KCBS 2 LA they got scared off and toned it down and then lost their voice completely and since the 90s the ship has been adrift ever since with disastrous ratings. Sometimes you need to stay the course. Its interesting because slowly WMAQ 5 (NBC) and WLS 7 (ABC) both have "livelier" formats, with WMAQ leading the way. Certainly not as flashy but defo faster and quicker paced.

Read a nice little article about Bill Applegate.
http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/02/12/never-shy-but-now-hes-retiring/
MO
Mouseboy33
mark posted:
NextRadioTV, the owner of the French news channel BFM TV, is launching two new news channels: BFM Paris, a local news channel for the capital, and BFM Sport, a sports news channel: http://www.francetvsport.fr/omnisport/bfmtv-va-lancer-2-nouvelles-chaines-bfm-sport-et-bfm-paris-331659

It'll be really interesting to see how BFM Paris does, as I know the national news channels are already very popular in Paris.

In theory, there's no reason why a similar channel wouldn't work in London - the fact is, no-one's tried to do one since the 90s, and they didn't do it right then, so no-one really knows. My gut says that if it was good-quality, useful enough with lots of emphasis on travel and weather, and was heavily marketed, it would do ok.

I imagine a NY1 (New York) or CP24 (Toronto)-style channel being successful. A bit faster, pacey presented broadcast than what you currently see on UK. A tight wheel format. Similar to they way the old NEWSDIRECT radio station used to operate in London. Plus a handful of call ins and discussion programmes. Get it right and I think they could have carved out a nice little niche that is certainly not being served. With the millions in LONDON an "everywhere" strategy could work. Partnering with an ad firm to install free tellys in waiting rooms, taxis, petrol pumps, tube stations. With the channel locked onto a 24 hr news channel.
MA
mark Founding member
I was thinking similarly about waiting rooms/reception areas etc. A lot of these kind of places already have Sky News or BBC News on, so they might well prefer a news channel with relevant local travel and weather.

But rather than go too far off-topic, I'd be really interested in hearing which major world cities have dedicated local news channels (as opposed to local channels that show some news). I know of NY1 and FiOS 1 in New York, and CP24 in Toronto. And obviously BFM Paris is on the way. Where else?
CH
Charles
Boston has New England Cable News (NECN) and there's also Northwest Cable News (NWCN) for parts of the Pacific Northwest. From what I've seen of NECN, it's a pretty respectable channel. To be honest, I know very little about NWCN's existence even though I used to live in KGW's viewing area, but I think it has some limited success.

NBC also tried its hand with local news channels with its Nonstop format a few years ago. It was rolling news mixed in with a lot of city food and style features. NY Nonstop was first, and California Nonstop launched as three separate channels in the LA, San Francisco, and San Diego markets but with shared pan-California content. From what I remember, it was a little clunky and didn't really get too far off the ground as this all happened as NBC was furiously slashing costs before the sale to Comcast.
WW
WW Update
In Europe, Grand Lille TV comes to mind. It's an all-news local channel for the city of Lille in France; it appears to be a low-budget affair. You can watch it HERE live.
WW
WW Update
And here's a 2008 promo for CLTV in Chicago, a local news channel operated by WGN:

MA
mark Founding member
In Europe, Grand Lille TV comes to mind. It's an all-news local channel for the city of Lille in France; it appears to be a low-budget affair. You can watch it HERE live.

Just watched a bit of this. Low-budget, but very professional - an extraordinary achievement when you consider that Lille has a population of less than 250,000.

Newer posts