The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IL
i-lied
Norman Smith appears to have been forced off air whilst reporting during a protest against disability benefit cuts:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/23/disability-campaigners-occupy-parliament-over-benefit-cuts

Norman Smith tweeted that while the demonstration was taking place that no live broadcasts are allowed in Central Lobby.
DT
DTV
Norman Smith appears to have been forced off air whilst reporting during a protest against disability benefit cuts:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/23/disability-campaigners-occupy-parliament-over-benefit-cuts

Norman Smith tweeted that while the demonstration was taking place that no live broadcasts are allowed in Central Lobby.

Including photography, though some MPs such as Caroline Lucas broke the ban and took photographs with the protestors.

These are the kind of insane rules that some MPs got defeated over trying to abolish the other week. At least I assume they come from the same pointless laws banning comedy programmes using parliamentary footage which is what a group of MPs, led by Rupa Huq (Charlie Brooker's sister-in-law), tried to defeat the other week only to be shot down by killjoy Chris Grayling.
EL
elmarko
It was a great try by Huq but she was never going to win that debate Sad

The idea that Daily Politics can get away with all sorts of mad **** just because they're a News and Current Affairs show is nuts.
RN
Rolling News

He's not having a lot of luck with live broadcasts at the minute is he? He's just been forced off during a live piece on the VD programme due to a fire alarm at Westminster.
DT
DTV
It was a great try by Huq but she was never going to win that debate Sad

The idea that Daily Politics can get away with all sorts of mad **** just because they're a News and Current Affairs show is nuts.

Do you mean the Daily Politics or This Week, because though DP does have some 'light' bits it is generally a good current affairs programme - This Week is borderline and actually what Charlie Brooker cited as part of his argument against the Commons ban. All you have to do is watch clips like this and agree with him...

The show can be alright, though Dimbleby once ended an edition of Question Time with something along the lines of 'This Week is up next, though I have no idea why you would watch it', but I've only really sat through by-election specials when it takes a more Daily Politics approach anyway - but when they do their stupid skits it does make you wonder why Wipe and HIGNFY can't show clips.

Does anyone know if the Commons ban is extended to the other parliaments - I don't think I've ever seen any of the devolved parliaments/assemblies on a comedy programme.
EL
elmarko
I did indeed mean This Week. Thanks.
IL
i-lied
I've just seen BBC Newsroom Live for the first time and I'm not entirely sure about the titles. It seems like a shame of a mix between titles before and Victoria Derbyshire.
ST
Stuart
I'm getting quite disappointed with the BBC News Channel.

I know it doesn't ACTUALLY broadcast overnight, but now the BBC don't even TRY to hide the fact that it's a blatant simulcast of their commercial channel 'BBC World News'.

For the insomniacs amongst us, I'm sure it's nice to jump from a repeat of Newsnight to a live broadcast from Singapore of Newsday , but not for the rest of us.

1am is NOT daytime in the UK, in fact it couldn't be further from it.

Grrrr..... rant over Mad

EDIT: I think BBC News should use the 'World News' intro. It's a nice evolution of the now (tired) red & white rings.
Last edited by Stuart on 25 March 2016 2:19am
DV
dvboy
I don't really have a problem with Newsday being on the News Channel overnight and it's been like that for a long time now, Stuart.

I do find the opening sequence a bit clunky however and presenting from two locations is an expensive gimmick, they should really just present the whole thing from Singapore.
DE
deejay
I think the simulcast of World and News Channel has been around now for donkeys years. ISTR in the very early days of the news channel they were entirely separate and News 24 would dip into BBC World for half an hour overnight (and again at 0930 in the morning I think). By the time news channel moved into N8 (late 1990s) the overnights were a joint service made in N8.

I don't think the BBC has ever made a particular secret of it, in fact Adrain Finighan used to occasionally point it out on air at world opt points, saying how he could now relax now the world viewers had gone!

The audience for Newsday is very strong, far stronger than the night time audience available in the uk, so it makes great sense to aim a programme at that market, while acknowledging uk and European stories by co presenting from London and Singapore.
CH
chris
There was a 0930 World bulletin even in the early to mid-noughties. I can't remember when it was dropped - perhaps at the same time News 24 started to opt out of Breakfast at 0830 rather than 0900.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Business Live only went out on World this morning with Rachel Horne and Jamie Robertson.

NC viewers had an extra half hour of Breakfast.

Newer posts