TV Home Forum

Is it time to bring back GMTV?

(March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chris
chris posted:
They certainly wouldn't bring the name back. Tarnished beyond repair by the phone vote scandals that showed the contempt the management of the time had for the audience, seeing them as premium-rate phone-calling cash-cows... And whilst the phone competitions continue - that whiff still remains.

If the whiff still remains, then I doubt it has made a difference whether it's called GMTV or not.

That said I agree they wouldn't bring back the name - nobody likes to be seen going backwards.

They brought back Daybreak and Good Morning Britain after around 20 years off air, so they could do the same with GMTV one day.

Nobody remembers Daybreak or Good Morning Britain before their current incarnations. Plus GMTV is a very unusual name, born only because of copyright reasons of Sunrise.

The discussion is about whether they would bring back GMTV, i.e. with all the connotations that came with the brand, not whether in 20 years when everyone forgot it existed would marketing experts come up with a new, original name GMTV...
CI
cityprod
chris posted:
chris posted:

If the whiff still remains, then I doubt it has made a difference whether it's called GMTV or not.

That said I agree they wouldn't bring back the name - nobody likes to be seen going backwards.

They brought back Daybreak and Good Morning Britain after around 20 years off air, so they could do the same with GMTV one day.

Nobody remembers Daybreak or Good Morning Britain before their current incarnations. Plus GMTV is a very unusual name, born only because of copyright reasons of Sunrise.

The discussion is about whether they would bring back GMTV, i.e. with all the connotations that came with the brand, not whether in 20 years when everyone forgot it existed would marketing experts come up with a new, original name GMTV...

Wrong wrong wrong. People do remember the original Good Morning Britain, and remember it with fondness. That's why there's a degree of disappointment over the current incarnation.
BR
Brekkie
chris posted:

Wrong wrong wrong. People do remember the original Good Morning Britain, and remember it with fondness. That's why there's a degree of disappointment over the current incarnation.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

People remember TV-am rather than the individual strands and any disappointment with GMB has nothing to do with memories of 30 years ago.
EL
elmarko
Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Everybody has different opinions, memories, and thoughts and you're both right.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
What is this, the "wrong wrong wrong" variation on "I'm Spartacus"? Smile
CI
cityprod
chris posted:

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

People remember TV-am rather than the individual strands and any disappointment with GMB has nothing to do with memories of 30 years ago.

If you say "TV-am" to people and the first words out of their mouths will probably be, "Good Morning Britain", probably followed in close proximity by "After Nine", "Wide Awake Club", "Wacaday" and "Frost On Sunday".

People remember both TV-am, and some of the individual programme strands. Not many of them, only a few, but some of the individual programmes and presenters are remembered. You probably won't get people remembering "TV-am Reports", "Daybreak" or "The Morning Programme", you probably won't get people remembering the sports preview programme, whose name I have forgotten, that was hosted on a Saturday morning before children's programmes. And I'm pretty sure most people won't remember that Anne Diamond did a Sunday morning show for a while during one of David Frost's summer breaks as I recall.
NG
noggin Founding member
I think if you say "TV-am" to most people the next thing they will say is "Roland Rat", "Anne Diamond and Nick Owen", "Mad Lizzie" and "Wincey Willis"... Can imagine some people saying "Good Morning Britain". Not sure that many (non-telly obsessive) people associated their other shows like Wacaday and Wide Awake Club with TV-am or ITV.

Personally I seldom watched it - and my word association would be different... ("Pink", "Gyngell", "Strike", "Union breakers", "Low quality" etc.)
DV
dvboy
I think if you say "TV-am" to most people the next thing they will say is "Roland Rat", "Anne Diamond and Nick Owen", "Mad Lizzie" and "Wincey Willis"... Can imagine some people saying "Good Morning Britain". Not sure that many (non-telly obsessive) people associated their other shows like Wacaday and Wide Awake Club with TV-am or ITV.

Personally I seldom watched it - and my word association would be different... ("Pink", "Gyngell", "Strike", "Union breakers", "Low quality" etc.)

If you say TV-am to anyone under 30 they'll probably say "what?"
LL
Larry the Loafer
Unless they use TV Forum...

Newer posts