This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
It would just become a GMTV thread.
JB
JasonB
Jon posted:
It would just become a GMTV thread.

With the usual's posting about every little detail including music.
London Lite and Brekkie gave kudos
LS
Lou Scannon
I wonder why in particular it is that ITV's various weekday breakfast offerings (as opposed to virtually anything else on the whole of UK television) seem to attract and fascinate a particular category of obsessiveness?

Given the (seemingly) nigh-on daily micro-tweaks to inconsequential elements of the programme, the decision-makers behind GMB clearly share that same mindset. Or perhaps are even the exact same people that then log on here, to proudly draw attention to their own tweaks?! Laughing
BA
bazinga
To some, GMTV hasn't gone away. Countless times I've heard people talking about something that'd had been on GMB saying "oh did you see that on gmtv this morning". Completely irrelevant of course. However, it wouldn't be right to bring back GMTV at this point, itv breakfast would loose all credibility by scrapping a barely 2 year old show, one could argue they have none of that left anyway.
OM
Omnipresent
My late grandmother always used to refer to GMTV as GMTV-AM.
London Lite and Si-Co gave kudos
LB
Long bottom
Its the presenters that made it good GMTV, without them it went to the dogs.
BO
boris78
I wonder why in particular it is that ITV's various weekday breakfast offerings (as opposed to virtually anything else on the whole of UK television) seem to attract and fascinate a particular category of obsessiveness?

Given the (seemingly) nigh-on daily micro-tweaks to inconsequential elements of the programme, the decision-makers behind GMB clearly share that same mindset. Or perhaps are even the exact same people that then log on here, to proudly draw attention to their own tweaks?! Laughing

I was thinking the same thing, I'd put my house on it. No other television programme has the daily scrutiny that GMB has on this site. It can be the only conclusion.
Lou Scannon and Brekkie gave kudos
BS
Ben Shatliff
TBH I think we have GMB and we should stay with GMB. Almost two years and still the same set although there have been presenter and graphic changes. No talk of another relaunch like Daybreak MKII was at this same stage. Piers and Susannah interact well and I still enjoy it.

I know I ask about new looks occasionally only because new looks interest me whatever the programme.

GMTV is the past and should stay there as far as I am concerned.

Going off the way things seem to be they must have GMB where they want it so let's see if we can say in three years they we are making Five Years of GMB.
news junkie and Brekkie gave kudos
RS
Rob_Schneider
The format still works. If you're asking should that come back (just as GMTV and Daybreak both reverted to the TV-AM format) then my answer's yes.
MR
mr_vivian
Stick with GMB it's fine.

Nobody actually cares what the program is called as long as it gives them the news.

The days of high rating breakfast shows are a thing of the past and so is GMTV.

So no - leave GMTV in the past and look to the future.
KE
kernow
chris posted:
They certainly wouldn't bring the name back. Tarnished beyond repair by the phone vote scandals that showed the contempt the management of the time had for the audience, seeing them as premium-rate phone-calling cash-cows... And whilst the phone competitions continue - that whiff still remains.

If the whiff still remains, then I doubt it has made a difference whether it's called GMTV or not.

That said I agree they wouldn't bring back the name - nobody likes to be seen going backwards.

They brought back Daybreak and Good Morning Britain after around 20 years off air, so they could do the same with GMTV one day.

Because the name "GMTV" ends with "TV", it sounds like the name of an entirely separate channel/broadcaster (as opposed to merely "a programme on ITV" as such). Which, of course, is exactly what GMTV originally was.

Once ITV plc fully took over that company, it did finally become "merely a programme" as opposed to a "channel" in its own right. Therefore, it is logical that ITV plc would have at least wanted to do away with the "channel"-sounding programme name, to (A) emphasise the fact that it was no longer a separate entity, and (B) because individual programmes (on any broadcaster's network) don't generally have names that make them sound like whole channels (aside from the odd arguable exception, such as SM:TV Live).

I therefore suspect that at least the name would have always been changed circa 2010, even if they'd changed literally nothing else at all (e.g. the format, content, presenters, set, titles, theme tune etc). Imagine the last ever GMTV logo (the orangey rectangle-with-rounded-corners) amended to have "Daybreak" (or whatever) written in it instead, for example.

We may find that the programme perpetually reverts to being essentially GMTV in all-but-name , but the actual "GMTV" name is about as likely to make a return as e.g. "HTV", "LWT", Elvis Presley, or Lord Lucan.

That's one of the less valid reasons for not bringing it back. GMTV was an established brand in that slot and as far as most viewers are concerned, it was a programme rather than a broadcaster in its own right. As you state it isn't the first programme on television with "TV" in the title, and I fail to see how GMTV is any different from SM:TV.

I don't think the "TV" in the name had anything to do it, and if they didn't want "TV" in the names of programmes, they wouldn't have things like "ITV News Channel TV".
LL
Larry the Loafer
Aren't they all the same show anyway? GMTV turned out like TV-am, Daybreak was near enough identical to GMTV, and from what I've seen, GMB doesn't seem all that different from Daybreak despite its supposed focus on news.

Newer posts